Friday 15 March 2013

Uxbridge and what it's all about

Hello again everyone! Even though I am not leaving until August I am going to try and update the blog every week to keep everyone up to date with what's going on and to even provide you with some information about where I will be actually staying for my year long visit. And yes all this information will be from Wikipedia for now.

So obviously to start off with Uxbridge is located in London, England and as the Mom tells me it's "only a thirty minute tube ride into the centre of London". It's a large town located in west London, England and is the administrative headquarters of the London Borough of Hillingdon.

A little history lesson provided by Wikipedia, "Uxbridge also houses the Battle of Britain Bunker, from where the air defence of the south-east of England was coordinated during the Battle of Britain. Situated in RAF Uxbridge, the No. 11 Group Operations Room within the bunker took on a crucial rule during the battle and was later used during the D-Day landings."
Not very much stuff here as of right now but once I get talking to the family more and reading more about England and Great Britain I will get more on here I promise. And to end today I will leave you with some famous faces of Uxbridge. :)

Christine Keeler, iconic 1960s model involved in the Profumo Affair, was born in Uxbridge.
Bernard Miles (1907–1991), actor, writer and director, was born in Uxbridge.
John Stears (1934–1999), Oscar-winning creator of James Bond's Aston Martin DB5, Star Wars robots R2-D2 and C-3PO, and the Jedi Knights' lightsabers, among other special effects, was born in Uxbridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment