Sunday 9 February 2014

A Little More About London and Me

So after going through my most recent posts I've realized that I haven't said much about how I feel being here or some of the new things I've learned since being here. So here's my list so far:

1) Tube wise here are my comments on each of the lines I have been on:

Metropolitan Line - very fancy carriages, one of the best looking trains I've seen so far - more space compared to the other trains (my personal favourite line to take), fastest way to get into London (40mins tops to get to Baker Street from my place)
Piccadilly Line - a slower way to get into central London but it has the most frequent stops I make on it so I usually take the Metro line in and then connect to it by the Bakerloo Line
Central Line - a very fast train, when it wants to be. Have had to take this line for the past month because the Metro and Piccadilly are being worked on. Takes about an hour to get to Oxford Circus and from there everything is within walking distance
Bakerloo Line - tying with the Jubilee line for being the loudest train, I usually turn up my iPod if I'm on this line. It's so squeaky and noisy but it's good for connecting to places  
Jubilee Line - as with the Bakerloo Line it's noisy! But the only way to get to Westminister in 40minutes and also Abbey Road (which I haven't been to yet because the line is being worked on)


2) People have different speeds they walk in.

        #1 - very very slowly walking people 
        #2 - speedy walkers who push their way through without even saying "Excuse me" (that could be the Canadian in me though)
        #3 - slow walkers who push around the very very slow people
        #4 - the "I really need to check something so I'm going to stop in the middle of everyone's way to do so with no warning what so ever"
       #5 - and finally the semi fast walkers who know where they want to go but don't push people out of the way to get there and manoeuvre around the stopping people (a.k.a Me)

3) Fashion sense goes out the window, which I am quite enjoying, because if people think I'm weird for wearing a light spring jacket in the middle of "Winter" there are other girls wearing shorts and sandals even!


4) The time difference is still a big deal to me. By time I am half-way through my day everyone back home is just getting up (which works in some favours because I can stay out as late as I want and still FaceTime back home because it's the afternoon there.

5) Meeting new people is easy but also hard. First there are language barriers with some of my friends and me, which I am getting use to but sometimes when talking with one another we get confused because we don't understand what each other is fully saying, but it takes time. Second meeting new people at Pubs or out and about scares me because I'm not as out going as I use to be (new place, still kind of getting use to it) but I still meet people in the end and thats all that matters.

6) Going with the comment above you gotta be able to do things by yourself and not care about being alone some of the time. Some of the time I prefer to go to different places by myself just because I know what I want to see and usually walk faster than some people (thanks Mom for that) so I don't have to wait for my slow poke friends :P

7) There is still lots that I haven't seen in London but that is one of my New Years Resolutions - to see as much of London as possible before I leave.

8) I wish I could do more traveling but as you know to travel you need money and time! With the amount I am saving for other trips, spending money and topping up my Oyster card (which is not cheap) I'll be going to the places on the top of my list to see but unfortunately I cannot see it all. Plus time, I only get weekends off, a week in February and 2 and 1/2 weeks in August. I already have trips planned for the week in February and 2 and 1/2 weeks in August but I am going to try and do day trips in the Spring to places outside of London that I really want to see but I don't think I'll make it to Scotland or Ireland. 

And now for the cheesy bit.

9) Being here has taught me a lot about myself and who I am as a person. What I see myself as and who I want to be in the future. The trip and experience as opened up my eyes to so much that I could not have possible seen if I had not left Canada, and the comfort of home. I now know that I am comfortable to do things by myself, explore new places and not be scared and to meet new people and learn from them.


Hope you enjoyed this post. 6 days until I'm in Paris!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment